Saturday 6 July 2013

Travel

I can hardly believe this is the end of my second day here. Actually, for that matter, I can hardly believe I am actually here! Its weird in a cool sort of way to walk down the lane from my house to the hospital and have the Zambezi River sparkling in the sun down the hill to my left. (And I'm sorry! I meant to include photos with this update, but the only time I had my camera I also had a bag of book and a carton of eggs... I kinda figured the eggs were more important at the time... )

Before I left home, I was thrilled to be part of two important milestones for my brother:
 His graduation from High School- He also won two awards: academic excellence (cool!) and most team spirit (doesn't surprise me)

And also his baptism! This was really cool!
None of us knew he had asked or that they
told him he could be once the water had
warmed up some. But God knew and that was super cool to be there to witness that!
                                  


I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Irish Family and was sad to leave, but glad for the opportunity to reconnect!
 These are my goofy cousins- who apparently have better memories than I have! There was a cd of kids songs we listened to 5 yrs ago when I visited. I remembered the cd, but not the song that I tickled them on every time... something about 'dem bones' Ha can't even recall it now! ;) But it was loads of fun getting to know them better and make new memories... like picnicking in the rain... it rains a lot in Ireland... why stop the party :)

This is the whole family minus my uncle who took the photo
 
 
 
And then off to the airport for part two!
 

We ran into a slight problem trying to leave Ireland as they only allow 1 checked bag... I had 3 because BA allows three. I had two to begin with and the third I had because I needed my textbooks ;) ... But God knew and He provided an employee who knew the system and changed something on my ticket (??? that's what my uncle was for) to register the bags for missionary purposes and so my bags travelled with me with no charge.
 
 
The fun began in Britain... I always thought they were so nice there... well, I guess they were just doing their job! See, my paperwork to enter  Zambia consists of a receipt for the employment permit that has been approved. However, the Zambian gov't has been out of employment booklets since at least Jan 2013 (typical). But, BA couldn't understand that concept... sigh!.... So when I attempted to pass through security they told me the receipt was not sufficient, that Zambian immigration would deport me immediately and then fine BA for allowing me to travel with incorrect documents (regardless of what I tried to tell them! :S) I could however, purchase a return and they could let me go through on a visitor visa and get the employment documents sorted out in the country... Well... I was going to Zambia... I suppose you can guess what I did next... gulp!
 
They said the ticket was fully refundable whish is great, but when I went online to cancel it a message popped up saying I had to contact my travel agent. So... I contacted my agent... of course I didn't get to it until today and seeing as its a weekend I likely won't hear back from her until Monday.. and so the saga continues. But God knows! We serve an awesome God, bigger than anything we face here! Our job is to trust, His I everything else!
 
And so I arrived in Zambia the morning of the 4th and I was so glad to meet one of the missionaries at the Zambian Immigration. Again, God knows, and all my doubting and worrying and fearfulness on the plane was for naught. Within about 1/2 hr after arriving I had my work order signed and stamped and I am legally in the country! But I was really glad to meet that missionary! He was a definite answer to my faithless prayers!
 
We trekked then, after picking up a fourth for our drive, out of Lusaka around 11 am and made the 9 hr trip out to the mission station. There are two diesel stops on the way out.
 
The second diesel stop had no diesel... ummm.... yeah... but my Father knew. Jehovah Jireh, the Lord provides. We went the last about 50 k on empty, but I was so glad to have made it in! And then, after a quick stop for a meal... right to bed I went! And that, that was the best part! I cuddled down under a stack of heavy blankets, wrapped in another blanket made by a dear friend and praised God. Because He knows!
 
 
 
 
The only sad part of my story.. and really its a good story... my sister had her baby! Exciting news! But I missed him by three days (very sad! no sweet baby cuddles, no excitement over how big he is from the last visit, no opportunity to help him sit or take his first steps or tickle him till he giggles) But he was born on my mom's birthday. And I think, after I consider it all... God's plan maybe is best. It's much more exciting for my mom to have this wonderful celebration on a yearly basis. Yes, I think in the end, God knows and He knows best!
 
So... meet my beautiful new nephew! ... well... I can say beautiful cuz he's mine... but I don't know if the pictures show it really! :D


meet Seth Gordon Patrick :) 
And of course, I couldn't help but include pictures of the one who stole my heart 3 years ago! These are my two goofy boys!

 
 
And Jordan! (my favourite... but now I have two!)


 

 


Simply trusting every day,
Trusting through the stormy way,
Even when my faith is small,
Trusting Jesus that is all!


3 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to meet you newest nephew. He is just priceless. Praying for you as you continue on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So enjoyed following you on your trip Christina through your blog. Excitement.... adventure..... and TRUST. Love it. Glad you made it safely there with all your papers. So many things in your life at this time.... It never rains, it pours.
    Love you sister and keep trusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again.... because I sign in as Anonymous, I have to remember to sign my name which I didn't in the previous comment. Will try to remember.... or maybe.... you can always figure out that it is me... Ha! Ha! Doris

    ReplyDelete