Thursday 18 April 2013

Rushing

Rushing! Rushing! Rushing!

Everything! All the Time! Rushing!

This whole city seems to be rushing. Rushing to work, rushing home from work. Rushing to vacations and breaks. Rushing to new experiences, new places, new circumstances.

Or maybe its just me? Maybe its just because the last four months have been aimed at preparing to leave, preparing to go. There doesn't seem to be a minute outside of working, packing, studying, visiting. All of it enjoyable (ok! the studying not so much :S) but now its coming to a close



I moved my mattress out of my room today. The bed frame was gone long ago, and it was just the mattress. But they are coming today to take my mattress, my warbdrobe and my bookshelf, the three items that won't fit in my car. My room looks so empty without it... I can't believe its this time already! I can't believe its been three years- the time seems to have just flown! I also can't believe this crazy exam is on saturday- I'll be glad at least to have that finished :)

As excited as I am to move forward, I can't help but look back with a touch of sentiment. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and I have been so very blessed. Part of me can't help but wonder if I will find a place like this one again. I can't begin to recount the things that have made this place so dear....

My roommates who have taught me how to look at the world through different lenses and have demonstrated unconditional acceptance and some of the crazy escapades we've gotten up to (like burning pots and midnight visits to the local metro for ice cream and broken lawn tractors) and and and...

The many teen nights and exploring the world through the eyes of a teenager- we had some deep discussions. I will miss these girls and guys. Its been so awesome to watch them grow and develop and become young adults from gr 8 to gr 11- what a change!

And the sunday school- so much growth for myself, I have always hated presentations, but this excited me. Maybe it was the challenge of making exciting and thought provoking lessons for two girls who knew their Bibles very well. And then it morphed from teaching lessons to children into guiding young adults into critically thinking about the Bible and its teaching and applying it to our daily lives. I am in awe of the spiritual development of these kids, some who I have know since they were just kidlets. I count myself privileged to see the baptism of three of our girls.. Its so awesome to see these kids live their faith!

My 'Tante' who has always been there when I needed to chat or just wanted someone to share a hot chocolate with

The many colleagues who made my day just by being there. I work with some of the best people ever!

The colleagues that I called 'Auntie'- these ladies are awesome! I have learned so much from them about moment by moment walking with the Lord and always being ready to give an answer, and diligence at work, and showing love and calling upon the name of the Lord and ... and the list could go on!

The wound care nurse who always brightens my day when she comes up to visit... umm... I mean assess patients :)

you know, I'll also miss the colleagues asking 'the wound care nurse ordered this, where do I find it" or "Did you see what plastics ordered? Should we get wound care involved" or "Can you come assess this wound?" I will also miss- "I'll do your blood glucose checks, if you'll dress this wound for me"  (sigh.... I think I have a one track mind :S) lol

I think most of all I'm gonna miss the way I have come to rely on seeing God work here. Its hard to explain- its not like I won't be seeing God work in a new setting, but it will be a different way, which is good, just different... It will require keeping my eyes open and building on lessons already learned and it will challenge ideas and ways of thinking that I have developed...

I'm kinda glad tho, that I've decided to push back my departure date by 6 weeks. I'm glad for the opportunity to visit with friends and spend time with my family and do all of that at leisure instead of cramming everything in along with trying to study for an exam and help with two moves. But I am still super glad that I only have five shifts left (not that I'm counting lol) :D


If I never have another prayer that's answered
Or have another blessing come my way
If this is all I know of heaven's kindness
then Father, I would still have to say

You have been good,
You've been so good
In so many ways you've been good to me





1 comment:

  1. Good Luck on the exam :) Will be praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete