Saturday 9 June 2012

Missionary Friends and MOP

well a quick update and excuse the lack of punctuation i'm typing this on my kindle. The meeting with Shawn n Rhonda on monday went very well and many things came out of that. On my mind right now is leaving family and how can I as the eldest daughter leave my responsibilities for another. I wish there was an answer. The closest I got was you have to decide if God calls you then you have to be aware and willing to make that decision. But thats still so hard to let go of... But some of the other things we discussd were things I sorta already had a conviction about or at least had thots about. Learning the language. Living on a mission station where the missionaries speak english and the locals are trying to learn english, its easy to just skimp and avoid language studies. But well, I want them to know that I care about them and what a better way to show it then like a baby letting myself be teased and showing they and their culture are importat to me. Then too we discussed not letting my happiness depend on the opinions of those around me. This one may be more difficult. I am a people pleaser. I want ppl to be happy with me. but I  have learned from experience it doesn't always happen that way. I guess this is something that I will be working on for a little while. But I am not there to please the missionaries. I am there to please the One who sent me. So I'll go with an idea of what it is I am supposed to do and try not to rock the boat and just seek to please God who sent me and not get upset when I feel like I have failed someone. It was a great visit tho and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to chat about serious and practical things with them. 
And now I'm here at MOP the Missionary Orientation Program and it promises to be an intensive and hopefully profitable week. I am most hopeful to learn about interpersonal relationships with other missionaries and also about cross cultural communication. I am by nature rather businesslike. I get things done. The Lunda tribe I am going to are relational. They will talk anout everything before they even begin to discuss an issue and then they don't even really discuss it. They are all non confrontational, which works for me because I hate conflict ;) . But I know my mannerisms can sometimes seem like I'm upset. So this will be definitely something I need to watch for in my self and learn to avoid... i arrived here late last night after almost a whole day of driving. Its a beautiful campground, I cant wait to hike thru it and explore, but now its just about time for the day to begin. Lets see how this adventure goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment