Wednesday 22 March 2017

What are you writing while you are waiting?

Waiting

We spend probably most of our lives doing it.

Waiting for the light to change
for the microwave to ding
for school to finish
for that special someone
for the kids to grow up
for the golden years

at the doctors office
at Emerg
at the doorbell

in the grocery line, the bank line, the cinema line


But what are we writing while we are waiting?

I've had waiting on my mind since the start of the year. Whether it was because the year started off so slowly, and in fact is still very slow, or because I was waiting to go visit a dear friend on her village about 4hrs from here, or because my next trip home is less than a year away now, I'm not sure. But waiting and thinking about waiting sure has taken up a lot of my time so far this year.

Over and over again, this question comes to me:

What am I writing while I am waiting?


Waiting to finish the Ward Round
Waiting to speak to the Doctor
Waiting for the surgery to end
Waiting to go back to work the next day
Waiting for the meeting to start
Waiting for the meat to defrost
for the oven to heat up
for there to be hot water for a shower
for the patient to come
for there to be power to my house
waiting waiting waiting


But what am I writing? 
Is it a story of grace? Of patience? Of a quiet spirit? Of joy in the Lord?
Am I seeking moment by moment for His will? Accepting it with joy when it comes?

Or am I anxious and fearful? Am I wasting my time in frivolous pursuits? Am I cross and unkind and impatient?
Too often this is the story I am writing



You see, we are writing a story. The story called: The Adventure Called My Life.
Each day is a new page. Each year is a new chapter. Each season is a new part in this book. 
There is a lot in our story that we don't get to choose, but I think there is even more that we do get to choose.

What is my attitude to the events I don't get to control?  That's a big choice right there!

What is my focus in the in between times- the times in between life's big events? Building character and growing in virtue or seeking amusement and empty pastimes 
Am I using my time wisely? Productive use of my time, use that will bring God glory, use that will be interesting and useful at a later date - studying, trying new things, building relationships, seeking God




God has given us this life, this story to write. How are we going to write it?







2 comments:

  1. Thought of this on Tuesday morning. Had a medical test coming up and a bit of time until it was ready. There was a Gideon Bible in the room and I looked at my hymnbook also.
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete